Friday, December 10, 2010

Rebuilding the Original Heater

I've rebored the PTFE to remove the notches I previously made on the inside of the barrel. It now has a diameter of 5.5mm and is completely smooth again. I've remounted it on the extruder base and attached the nozzle.


I've also rebuilt the original nichrome wire heater wrapped around the nozzle, just in case the new heater block I've made is causing the problem with molten PLA backing up into the PTFE barrel.


The heater part works fine, unfortunately the nozzle is still filling with molten PLA. Since it never used to do this before the original catastrophic failure of the PTFE barrel that this is the cause. I'll need to make a new barrel.


The problem is I don't have a lathe, so do I spend $95 on the techshop lathe class so I can use their lathes and then pay $125 for the one month membership, or pay ~$500 for a mini-lathe for my workshop. 


I'd like a lathe, but I doubt I'd use it again after this. Perhaps Santa will bring me one?

No comments:

Post a Comment